Friday, November 5, 2010

Homemade Pesto

Fresh basil in the fall means fresh pesto!



I've been traveling for work for 3 whole weeks but amazingly my basil plant is still alive! Good thing I don't have any pets...


To make pesto you'll need about 3 cups of fresh basil. Rinse leafs, pull them off the stem and place in the food processor.


You will also need 1/2 parmesan cheese, 1/2 c. evoo, 1/3 c. pine nuts, 3 (or more) cloves of fresh garlic, sea salt and pepper.  Start by pulsing the basil leaves and pine nuts together a couple times. Then add garlic. Then add olive oil in a slow steady stream while blending. Use a rubber spatula to scrape the sides if necessary. Lastly add the parmesan cheese and salt and pepper to taste.


Then be sure to taste it as many times as possible on any type of food within reach! ;-)


After a few snacks I put together this delicious pita pocket with fresh mozzarella and heirloom tomatoes. Delicious!!

3 comments:

  1. Pesto is so good! love the pita bread with mozzarella, tomatoes and pesto :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! I love pesto! And it's so easy to make! I want my basil plant to grow like crazy, but it never does :) Inside or out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. To get a big, bushy basil plant you need to pinch it down about once a week. Pinch off the top pieces and it will start out new growth from there.

    ReplyDelete

Followers