Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Orange Peel Shrimp and Vegetarian Fried Rice


After seeing Orange Peel Shrimp on Eat Live Run the other day, I was feeling inspired to make an Asian inspired meal for the Chinese New Year. I have had orange chicken on my mind for several weeks but I liked the idea of using shrimp instead and that the recipe happened to be gluten free.

As I pulled up to the grocery store to get my supplies I spotted my favorite Chinese takeout place. I thought for a second about just cheating my well thought out dinner plans of a homemade meal for some quick take out that would be ready in minutes, but I stuck to my original plan and was very happy about the results! The meal took about an hour to prep and cook from start to finish but I'm sure this healthier version was better than any greasy take out.

Orange Peel Shrimp recipe by Jenna of eatliverun.com
Note: you might think to yourself when make this
"that's not nearly enough sauce for all of this shrimp!"
but don't worry it is!

Vegetarian Fried Rice by Me

4 cups cooked brown Basmati rice
3 eggs
1/2 onion, diced
2 cups frozen peas & carrots
1 tsp fresh grated ginger
1.5 tbs GF soy sauce
1.5 tbs fish sauce
1.5 tbs sesame seed oil
1.5 tbs rice wine vinegar

Cook rice to package instructions (note that this takes about 50 mins).

While rice is cooking, make your orange peel shrimp. :-)

Once rice is close to being complete, mix ginger, soy, fish sauce, sesame seed oil, and vinegar together in a small bowl. In a separate bowl, beat 3 eggs and then scramble in a large frying pan with a small amount of cooking spray. Remove eggs from pan and set aside.

In same frying pan add the onion. Let cook for several minutes until they begin to brown and then add peas and carrots plus 2 tbs of water. Allow veggies to cook for another 2 mins. Fluff your rice and add to veggie mixture. Pour soy mixture sauce over rice and toss well. Cook for an additional 5 minutes. Allow for rice to "fry" or brown by stirring less frequently. Toss in scrambled eggs and serve warm.

Enjoy!

Pin It

Followers