Thursday, July 14, 2011

Chipotle-Black Bean Mexican Salad




I still have not found my camera cord. I think I'm gonna need to give in and buy one of those memory stick readers but that actually requires me to drive to the store and buy one. So for now I'm using my iPhone. When I saw this on She Wears Many Hats the other day, I knew what I was going to have for dinner. This was right up my alley, plus I already had most of the ingredients at home.


For this Chipotle-Black Bean Mexican salad I started with a bed of spinach and topped it with black beans, roasted corn, jicama, tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, shrimp and tortilla crisps. I used this recipe for the Chipotle dressing only I added extra lemon juice instead of chicken stock. The dressing was good and spicy! If you don't like a lot of spice then try using just one pepper instead of three. Next time I think I'm gonna try this recipe and add a little vinegar so it's thick.


To make my tortilla crisps I used 4 corn tortillas and cut them in 1.5" x .5" pieces. Set the oven at 400, sprayed a cookie sheet with cooking spray and spread out my tortilla strips. Then I gave the pan and strips another spray with cooking spray and sprinkled them with cayenne pepper and garlic salt. Cook them for about 10 mins or until crisp remembering to pull the cookie sheet from oven and move the crisps around with a spatula a couple times to make sure they don't burn.


Enjoy!

Followers