Monday, September 5, 2011

Shiritaki Tuna Noodle Casserole

I'm not sure where I got the craving for this old school classic dish. Somewhere the thought popped into my mind and I knew I needed peas, pasta, tuna and creamy goodness. Never having made this dish for myself, I really had no basis for a recipe. I'm pretty sure the last time I had Tuna Noodle I was 12 and my mom made it for me. So I went with what I thought would be good and was sure to avoid any of the boxed varieties.

Shiritaki Tuna Noodle Casserole

1 package shiritaki noodles, macaroni style
1 can tuna, drained
1 cup peas, frozen
1/2 tbs butter
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup Parmesan
1/4 cup mozzarella
paprika
salt and pepper
crushed red pepper

In a small sauce pan heat milk and butter over medium heat until butter melts stirring frequently to be sure not to scorch the milk. Once butter is melted, add in cheeses and continue to stir. Once mixture become gooey, add tuna and frozen peas.

In a separate pan, cook shiritaki noodles to package instructions. Once noodles are cooked and drained, add them to the creamy, cheesy mixture. Add a couple dashes of paprika, s & p, and crushed red pepper to taste. Serve topped with some extra Parmesan. Serves two.

Enjoy!

Followers