Thursday, October 20, 2011

Bacon and Caramelized Onion Dip

I have always been a big fan of onion dip. In fact, I'm pretty much a fan of all types of dips. I'll take chips and dip over dessert any day! When I saw Caramelized Onion Dip on Nicole's blog awhile back I knew I was gonna have to try it. My first attempt was a "healthier" version which I made just using the caramelized onions and Greek yogurt. It was pretty tasty and fairly healthy when eaten with veggies instead of potato chips.

It was so good that I decided I needed to make it again this past weekend, only when I had this great thought, I happened to be frying bacon. See where I'm going with this? Bacon + caramelized onions = pure awesomeness!

Bacon and Caramelized Onion Dip
5 strips bacon (I prefer uncured)

1 large sweet onion
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

1/2 tsp paprika

4 0z cream cheese (half block)

1 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt

3 tbs mayo


Place cream cheese in a large bowl and allow for it to soften to room temperature while preparing. Next, thinly chop onion.

In a large skillet, cook bacon until crunch and brown. Remove bacon from skillet once it is cooked and place on paper towels. Pour bacon grease into a jar leaving about 2 tbs remaining skillet. Add onions and seasonings and cook slowly over medium low heat stirring occasionally. Add more bacon grease if needed. Cook 20-30 minutes until onion in brown and caramelized.


Once onions are cooked allow them to cool slightly. Add onion and crumbled bacon to bowl with cream cheese. Slowly begin to work in onions and bacon using a rubber spatula. Add sour cream and mayo and combined until well mixed. Serve immediately or chill to eat later.


This is definitely a must for the next time you have company or watch football this fall!

Enjoy!

Followers