Tuesday, June 21, 2011

North Carolina Pulled Pork


North Carolina Pulled Pork. This is true BBQ to a Southern girl.

In the South BBQ is noun, not a verb. We have "cookouts" and we eat "BBQ."
BBQ is not firing up the "grill".
BBQ is not sweet sugar sauce you slather on a slab of meat.

In Virginia and to our North Carolina neighbors to the South, BBQ is slow cooked pulled pork perfectly balanced with a tangy vinegar and hot sauce. Since the time I moved away, I've frequently had intense craving for true barbecue (which is odd because I didn't eat a whole lot of BBQ when I did live in the South).

When I was in Texas a couple weeks ago a friend suggested we go out for BBQ. I was thrilled. But to my disappointment, in Texas BBQ is beef brisket and not pulled pork. Now I'm not dissing Texas BBQ, I was just hoping I would have found one of my favorites. Since then I have had this recipe on my mind.


North Carolina Pulled Pork (a slow-cooker version)

1 - 3lb Bone-in Pork Roast Shoulder
1.5 Cups Apple Cider Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Hot Sauce (I used Louisianna)
1.5 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 teaspoon Fresh Ground Pepper
2 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
1 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper

In a small bowl, mix together bottom six ingredients. Place pork roast in slowcooker and set on low for 10-12 hours. I choose to trim the extra fat off my roast. It was plenty marbled and there was close to a good pound of fat that was easy to cut off. (This is probably causing my true Southern friend Sara who taught me everything I know about Southern cooking to gasp. I'm pretty sure throwing away pork fat is a crime in her book. In fact, even if she is okay with me removing the extra fat, I'm sure I was suppose to save the fat for something else such as collard greens. But it's too late. The fat is gone.)

Roast will be tender and easily fall apart when ready. Remove roast from liquids and place in a casserole dish. Gently pull the roast apart with fork and knive (or if your me, just use kitchen scissors). Pour 1.5 cups of liquid over shredded pork, discarding the rest. Don't be affraid to add more vinegar or hot sauce if needed!

Serve pork on a toasted [Gluten-free] bun topped with fresh Cole Slaw. Side of roasted sweet potato fries is highly encouraged.



Enjoy!

Followers