Saturday, July 9, 2011

{Gluten-Free} Banana Nugget Cookies

Today I have a special treat for you. With a blog name like How the Cookies Crumble and also being gluten-free blogger, I get a lot of traffic for people looking for gluten-free cookies. I love baking but don't have much of a sweet tooth. One bite of a cookie and I'm good to part with sweets. I prefer taking in my "fun" calories in the form of chips & dips. So the only time I really bake is when I have a place to distribute my goodies. The two cookie recipes I have on my blog (here and here) both were in my pre gluten-free days.

I don't like disappointing my readers so today I bring you the best gluten-free cookie recipe ever! This is a family recipe which has always been a huge hit. The cookies are always soft and moist, and have an amazing flavor combo. Even people who claim to not like bananas like them! I modified the recipe to be a gluten-free version. I have found when baking GF it is best to use the metric system and weigh ingredients. GF flours tend to weigh more or less than typical white flour used in recipes. For this reason I will give you the weight, but if anyone is baking a non-GF version I have included the measurements in cups.

Gluten-Free Banana Nugget Cookies

201g (1 cup) sugar
142g (3/4 cup) shortening
1 egg
275g (1 cup) mashed banana (I usually use 2 large banana and add the extra)
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 package semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix together sugar and shortening. Then add egg and beat until fluffy. Add banana and then slowly begin to work oats into mix. Mix the remaining dry ingredients in a separate bowl and then slowly begin to add flour mixture to cookie mix. Once all ingredients are added, stir in chocolate chips.

Spoon cookies onto a silpit lined cookie sheet. Bake for 10 mins at 375 or until cookies begin to golden. Cookies will be extremely soft and fragile upon removing from the oven. You can allow the cookies to cool on the sheet or carefully use a spatula to transfer to cooling rack.

Tips:
  • These recipe is easy to make vegan by substituting egg for 1/2 cup banana or flax seed substitute.
  • I usually freeze my banana when they begin to brown. When I'm ready to bake I pull 2 bananas from the freezer and place them on a dinner plate to allow them to defrost for 15 mins. Bananas will easily squeeze out of skins and use a fork to mash on plate.
  • My next attempt will be to elimante the shortening from the cookies to make an even "healthier" version.
These are seriously the best cookies you will ever make! So stop reading and head to the kitchen!

Enjoy!

Followers