Monday, November 22, 2010

Spicy Tortilla Soup

As many of you who read know, I travel quite a bit for work. Those of you who are in contact with me on a regular basis will probably see a blog post and go - "Wait, she's in ________! Not her kitchen!".

In the past 5 weeks alone I have been here...

Vancouver, BC, Canada

and here...
Chicago, IL

and here...
this would be Richmond, VA
(I've always been a tree hugger!)

Because I spend so much time on the road I often prepare my blog post in advance so that I can provide you with content while I am away. Buckwheat Udon and Udon Re-done were really prepared two nights in a row
 and spaced out over time so I didn't have to try and flatter less-than-tasty airport food. That doesn't mean that my travels don't include delicious, healthy and tasty meals too, I just don't always have time to post when I'm away. 

With my secrets reveled, I will now show you a fresh & delicious, easy-peasy, hot winter meal made from scratch last night!

Spicy Tortilla Soup

This soup is great because you can add so many different variations and all your favorite ingredients (or leave out the ones you don't like)!

Spicy Tortilla Soup

1 carton Low-Sodium Chicken or Vegetable Broth
1 can Low-Sodium Diced Tomatoes
1 Yellow Onion, Diced
1-4 Jalapeno Peppers, seeded & diced
2 Cloves Garlic

This recipe can be prepared in a crock pot or on the stove. If done in the crock pot, add all ingredients, set to low, eat hot soup when you come home at the end of the day. By stove, add all ingredients, bring to a boil, then cover with a lid and simmer for 20+ minutes. I usually let mine simmer for an hour but sometimes you are hungry and just need to eat.

I top my tortilla soup off with a handful of crushed tortilla chips, grated cheese, a big dollop of Greek yogurt (or sour cream), and fresh avocado.

Play around with this recipe and add the ingredients that you like! I added a can of black beans to this last batch for some extra protein, but you can also add diced chicken, rice, corn or anything else you think would taste delicious.


Then mix it all up! May not look appetizing but amazingly full of flavor!

2 comments:

  1. Haha, cute tree hugging pic! :) and a lovely looking tortilla soup, yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I just stumbled across your blog! 2 things I love: 1. Richmond, VA 2. A Tortilla Soup recipe that DOESN'T have chicken in it!!!! I've been looking for one. I can't wait to try it!!

    Happy thanksgiving :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers