Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Protein Baked Potato

The baked potato...


Many fear the baked potato because of it's high glycemic index but the truth is potatoes are not the enemy. Potatoes are actually full of healthy nutrients such as Vitamin C, Vitamin B6, copper, magnesium, potassium and fiber. With all the talk in recent years about "white carbohydrates" being "bad" it's understandable how the misconception came about. My thought is any food in it pure, unaltered form is not bad for the body - white, purple, green, yellow or whatever color it maybe. If it comes from the earth you can be fairly certain it's good for your healthy as well. Refined foods such as white sugars and white breads are not good for your health. Enriched does not equal nutrients. I should also mention, however, that potatoes in the fried form are also not considered healthy (but eaten in moderation are delicious)!

By pairing potatoes with a high protein the glycemic response can actually be greatly reduced. One of my favorite picks is to pair the potato with Greek yogurt, or tonight's choice, cottage cheese! Healthy amounts of warm ooey, gooey cheese, calcium and protein.


Topped with a healthy dose of hot sauce, of course.


Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. My favorite way to eat a potato (minus the hot sauce, of course...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh! I've never thought to add cottage cheese to a baked potato but it sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep trying to like cottage cheese, but so far, haven't been successful. However, I DO think this would be really good! I might have to try it. It would be a good way for me to get some protein in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of using cottage cheese for the potato. That sounds great! I might have to bake up one soon! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never tried baked potatoes with cottage cheese! but I do love baked potatoes.. mm... not afraid of them at all! :D

    ReplyDelete

Followers