Monday, June 7, 2010

R&R

After a fully-packed busy three weeks, I was highly in need of some rest & relaxation this weekend and that's exactly what I got. We are have a a heat wave here in Las Vegas with temperatures as high as 109. While I'm sure come June that will be the average temperature, right now it's keeping everyone on the low locked inside their air conditioned house. I did try adventuring to the pool this weekend but after only an hour headed back to the house! I spent most my weekend cleaning house, catching up on sleep missed over past couple weeks and hanging out with friends. Good weekend!

Remember my plant Hope? Well look how big she's become! I ate my first fresh off-the-vine organic tomato yesterday and it was delicious! I now just don't have Hope in my little tomato plant, I have lots of faith. Look at all the green tomatoes ready to ripen.


My friend Stephanie made me this cute little gnome to scare ugly bugs away.


I think so far it is working because I have not found any of these (cross my fingers/knock on wood) this year.


My eggplant got hit twice by these little buggers last year! And yes, they really are that big. And they hiss! I had been out of town a few days and by the time I returned ALL of the leaves had been eaten off my eggplant.

I also received an awesome gift in the mail the other day! A few weeks back I won a Magic Bullet To Go thanks to Run Eat Repeat and the Magic Bullet company.


I could think of many uses for my Magic Bullet To Go at home, but at first thought wasn't too sure where I would use it "to go". Luckily Magic Bullet did the thinking for me and gave me a book full of recipes and ideas. Poolside margarita anyone?

 [Source]

Thanks again to Run Eat Repeat and to Magic Bullet! I'm sure I will get a lot of use out of this product!

Now for some EATS!

I had some friends over for dinner the other night and made some Portabella Mushrooms stuffed with Feta and Red Quinoa. I adapted this recipe from The Garden Apartment.


Roasted Portabellas with Feta and Red Quinoa

  • 4 large portabella mushrooms
  • 2-3 Tbs EVOO
  • 3-4 chopped cloves garlic
  • 1/4 cup chopped red onion
  • 1 cup crumbled Feta ( I used low fat)
  • 1 cup red quinoa
  • 2 cups water
  • 2 cups fresh spinach
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • Option: Balsamic Glaze (I forgot to make the glaze but it's a definite MUST for next time!)
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Clean mushrooms and lightly coat lightly with evoo. Roast for 25-30 minutes.

Meanwhile in a sauce pan heat 1/2 tbs of evoo and add garlic. Sautee for a few minutes. Add chopped onion and stir for 1 minute. Add 2 cups of water and 1 cup of quinoa. (Note: this made lots of extra quinoa. You may want to reduce portion if you will not use left over). Cook quinoa according to package directions.

Use a little evvo or cooking spray and saute spinach.  (I did not saute mine, I figured it would "wilt", but would have been much better sauteed)

Once portabella are cooked remove from oven and fill cap with 1/4 feta. Top with sauteed spinach and half a cup of quinoa mixture. Top with balsamic glaze and serve.

(Note: I also did not use the roasted cherry tomato or kalamata olives as she did on The Garden Apartment; However next time I think I will use my additions, spinach & feta, plus hers.)

End results, DELICIOUS!


I also roasted some eggplant, brussel sprouts and sweet potatoes on the side.


 I was also able to use the leftovers the next day for a great salad.


My salad had mixed greens, spinach, brussel sprouts, eggplant, sweet potatoes, quinoa and half an avocado. For dressing I took 2 tbs of hummus and mixed it with a dash of vinegar, dribble of evoo and a splash of water till it was of dressing consistency. Perfect summer salad!


That's all for now! How was your weekend? Did you get some R&R? or did you have a busy action packed weekend?

5 comments:

  1. Hi Rebecca,
    I had a relaxing weekend too. Went swimming on Sunday morning and to the beach later. I'm in Central Florida, it's not as hot as in Vegas, but humid...
    I really like your blog. Your tomatoes look great. I had some last year, and they were nice for a while, but then at some point I had to harvest them all at a time, as they were "exploding" on the plant in the heat. It made the best spaghetti sauce ever.
    Wow, this salad looks so delicious (as so many things you make). I completely forgot that I could use Brussel sprouts for salads too. Will try soon.
    See ya, Maya

    ReplyDelete
  2. the gnome is a total plant protector; what a man

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a lovely, lazy weekend with a bit of excersise :) just they way I like it!

    Poolside margarita? yes PLEASE! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Relaxing weekend here too. I love that little tomato plant with the gnome bodyguard. And how wonderful your tomatoes are growing so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how fresh all of your food looks! And the red quinoa is simply gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Followers