Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Microwave Cooking

Well friends, I officially moved this past weekend. Let's just say moving mid-summer in Vegas in 115 degree heat is not all that fun. Thankfully to my wonderful mother though, I had movers help with my furniture and a good amount of boxes. I fell off the treadmill 2 weeks ago and have been having a lot of problems with my shoulder so my wonderful mother got me movers to help get me in my new place! Let just say movers are the way to go here on out! I was so impressed with how professionally and quickly they got me moved.

My new place has something that I haven't used in over a year. A microwave. I've found during my time without that you really don't need a microwave oven and that I actually prefer to do things "the old fashion way", ie. stove top and oven. However since my gas has yet to be turned on, it's been all microwave cooking for me the past few days. Here's one of my latest concoctions. Microwave enchiladas!


To make these I started with 3 corn tortillas and topped them with refried beans, chopped tomato and onion, and cojita cheese.


I then topped them with a salsa verde and more cojita cheese and nuked them for about 4-5 minutes until warm throughout.


Pretty tasty for something made in a microwave! Although I'm looking forward to having the gas turned on and being able to cook and take warm showers again. ;-)

In other fun news look at all these fruit and veggies my friend got from BountifulBasket.org


Bountiful Basket is a food co-op with locations in Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Washington, Arizona and Texas. Basically once a week you go and pick up a great big box of fruit and veggies for only $15!! My friend paid $15 for the fruits and veggies and then another $11 for the 24 pound box of peaches. Can you believe the deal on all that fresh food?!! I signed up and am looking forward to some fresh fruit and veggies of my own!

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on the move! I agree-- microwaves definitely aren't necessary...but they can be awfully convenient if you DO have one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the move! I'm impressed with enchiladas in the microwave! Way to go!

    What a great food co-op that looks like! Can't wait to see what you end up with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the move :) I had a microwave in my previous apartment but it was in the closet the whole 2,5 years. I never used it! I find it quite useless :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Moving is always exciting once the hard work is done. I was a microwave devotee 2 yrs ago when I first lived in the dorms, now I still use it quite a bit even though I have a full equipped kitchen :-)

    ReplyDelete

Followers