Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Weighing In

Now I know a majority of the people out there don't believe in scales. And I know many weight loss programs, trainers, dietitians, and bloggers say to only weigh yourself once a week or to not weigh yourself at all and let your clothes tell you your size. However, I always have and always will be a daily weigher. I'm not obsessed and there are always day(s) that I forget or weeks when I'm traveling when I'm not able to, but as part of my daily morning routine, I like to step on the scale.

For me, stepping on the scale helps me to monitor my day to day eating and exercising habits. I have a range that my weight will fluctuate within on a daily basis, and if I happen to be on the high end, I know I need to monitor my food intake for the next 24-48 hours. I know this because I know my body. I know my body can gain 5 lbs just looking at a carrot cake. Lucky for me, I don't have much of a sweet tooth. On the other hand, I can't stay away from salty foods and sometimes high fat foods. Basically what I'm trying to say here is just that I use the scale as a healthy way to keep balance in my life.

Unfortunately, the scale is not always my friend. When I stepped on this morning, my weight was 4 lbs beyond the high end of my normal range! How is this possible?!

Well, looking back on my eating habits over the past week, they haven't been the greatest. I did eat a lot of food with no health content and drink alcohol quite a bit the week before my half marathon. But I also had a lot of healthy foods in there too! I did eat extra calories over the weekend. But I also burned 1500 on Saturday and probably another 400+ on my hike/walk Sunday. And I did have uncontrollable hunger all day yesterday. I kept telling myself to drink more water (and I had lots) but I was still hungry, so I ate. But I can't go back in time I can only move forward. The weight on the scale is there and it's up to me to make the correct eating and exercise choices to get me back to my right weight. I know my body best and let's just say sometimes my pounds don't just come and go. Sometimes they like to stay for a season or two. Let's just hope the weight rebounds in a week and these pounds aren't stickers!


On to my eats! Yesterdays breakfast was plain yogurt with a banana, big spoonful of ground flax seed, and 1/4 c. granola.


For lunch I had this big salad with Goddess dressing. I usually make my own dressing, but mom bought this while she was in town so I figured I would it! Salad had romaine lettuce, spinach, black beans, corn, onion, tomato, leftover roasted veggies - sweet potatoes, eggplant and asparagus, and half an avocado.


And then I finished off the last 4 Peeps! No more candy in the house! Whoo-hoo!


Back at the office (like 5 mins after I got there) I had this as a snack. Ten Wisecrackers and a Laughing Cow wedge.


And still hungry a little later I had 100 calorie pack of popcorn. It didn't pop very well, and it was burnt. Good think I like burnt popcorn!


After work I came home still hungry (wtf?). So I snacked on half this leftover tic-tac-toe potato with the yogurt/dill dip. and then I finished the other half as well.


And then I had one of these cookies my mom left behind. and I had 2 more that I didn't photo. Told you I had a raging appetite yesterday!


 After my snacks I made a valiant effort to do Yoga for Runners I downloaded from yogadownload.com. About 10 minutes into it I stopped paying attention and became thoroughly confused as to what position I was suppose to be in. I pushed "stop" to the gentle voice that was guiding me and just did some yoga stretching on my own. I actually feel great today with virtually no soreness left from the race! Woo-hooo! I might even go for a run this evening.

For dinner I made the same thing I had for lunch. Pretty much the same salad with the same dressing with slight variations like arugula instead of romaine. 


And then I had another one of these guys... Just one this time!


And one of the eggs I had just finished boiling.


And then I had my bedtime tea, bubble bath and bed. :-)

Question for today: Do you use a scale to monitor weight? Or do you just go by how your clothes fit? Do you have days where you just feel absolutely ravenous?

Have a good Tuesday!

5 comments:

  1. I don't use a scale. I get too obsessed and I don't like any number I see, so I have banned my scale to the closet.

    Those salads look great. I've never tried the goddess dressing, I always get the Annie's lite raspberry vinagrette.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a daily weigher too! You are right that there are lots of variations on what people do with regards to the scale.

    I have day where I am super hungry. Oftentimes it seems to be hormonally related!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That salad looks tremendous! I heart fresh corn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww!your salad looks awesome :) and I MUST try your dip, it looks so good and I'm already planning what could I dip into it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was snowboarding 3-5 times a week for 7 hours a day and playing hockey, my food bill went way up! I was hungry all the time! I weigh myself every few days. It seems like I will have a couple of weeks where I don't eat much and don't eat junk, but I won't see the weight difference for a few weeks. Is that weird? Same with gaining. I'm impressed with how healthy your diet is!

    ReplyDelete

Followers