Monday, April 26, 2010

Weekend Warrior

Do you find yourself living good and healthy through the week but killing your diet on the weekends? Do you count calories throughout the week but depend on "portion control" for Saturdays and Sundays? Do you tend to use the weekend as your "rest" days from the gym? I know I do!

I came across this article this am about how weekend calories may be ruining your diet. I could not agree with this article more! I know for a fact I definitely take in more calories on the weekend. 
  • Fact #1: Alcohol - Now I know alcohol is kind of a taboo subject out here in blog land; many people emphasize their "one glass of wine". I will be the first one to admit I do drink alcohol. If I have one glass of wine - it's very likely there will be at least a second one to follow - if not a few more. I am a Weekend Warrior! I've come a long way from my college years of binge drinking, but weekend are definitely a time for me to let loose, enjoy times with friends, and indulge in those extra calories.
    • A thing to remember when counting calories [or cocktails] is that 4 glasses of wine with friends equals one bottle of wine which equals 500 calories
  • Fact #2: I rarely count calories on the weekend - Whether it's laziness to track them in my iPhone, eating out and not knowing the calorie content, or thinking I'm doing well with my portion control, there are definitely extra calories that slip into my diet on the weekend. 
    • Remember to track those extra calories munching around the house, having the extra slice of pizza, going out to eat - the bread basket, appetizers, salad (dressings!), entrees, desserts. One meal out can cancel out all the calories you've saved by dieting and exercising all week!
What can you do to help live a balanced life on the weekend? Well besides from the tips listed here on MSNBC, my suggestions are:
  •  Remember to workout!! Getting in a good workout will help to counter act the extra calories taken in over the weekend.  This is definitely key to my successful healthy living.
  • Drink lots of water! Drinking lots of water helps curb food cravings. Now I'm sure I'm the only on this happens too [insert SarcMark]; wake up Sunday morning after a few too many and confuse my dehydration with an intense craving and desire for brunch packed with carbs, fried food and, why not, more mimosas!
Do you have days you indulge? What are your weaknesses? What are your tricks for not overeating on the weekends?

Now for my weekend EATS! 

Friday I had plans to meet up with a friend in town after work, but things ended up not working out so I had a whole Friday afternoon/evening to myself! After a busy week of having plans every night prior, I was kind of at a loss as of what to do. I could workout, but I had just go my hair done and figured I should savor the new, blown out 'do!



So I worked a little in my yard and enjoyed the nice weather on my patio. Check out my awesome little tomato plant. Proof things can grow in the desert! Look how much Hope has grown since I first planted her. Very exciting! 


See my first little tomato starting to grow! I also have a small basil plant.

 
While I enjoyed the lovely weather I snacked on some cheese and crackers. 

  
And then I decided to get all my weekend errands out of the way which mainly consisted of Costco, Trader Joe's and a Target trip.  With no other developing Friday night plans, I decided to make it a movie & wine night. I couldn't help but snack on these on the way home from the grocery store. 


And once home I just had to try this habanero and lime salsa. Hot, but didn't burn my tongue off. Another way to save calories big scoops of salsa means less chips used! I love salsa. I could literally eat it by the spoonful! Literally. And next time I do I'll be sure to share it with the blog. :-)



And then I made this personalized pizza I got at Trader Joe's and enjoyed it with two glasses of wine and The Blind Side - that's right, 2 glasses! That's what How the Cookies Crumble considers moderation. :-)





Have you seen me? Yes, the next morning I had yet another English muffin with Laughing Cow and smoked salmon. Just one half this time. 




Lunch was a roasted veggie sandwich. The veggie mix of sweet potatoes, eggplant, asparagus and broccoli were hot out of the oven so they helped wilt the spinach. There were also some artichoke hearts buried beneath.  I topped the salad off with goat cheese, a Morningstar burger and Green Goddess dressing mixed with water so it wasn't so thick. 



Later in the afternoon I snacked on a couple handfuls of these wasabi peas. Love them!




Saturday night I went to a wine walk to benefit a local charity. Now I would love to say I worked out Saturday to counter act all the wine in take I had planned for later, but my hair was still looking good and I was not ready to wash it! I did squeeze 20 minutes of Pilates into my jam packed day of sleeping in and cleaning house. [insert laughing at myself] 


 Wine walk was a lot of fun! There were 20 different wine stations you could visit and get a 1 ounce wine pour. I think we made it to about 17 of them. After the wine walk we went to Brio Tuscan Grill for dinner. We decided to do some sharing. We got the Gorgonzola crusted lamb chop appetizer and a side of eggplant parmesan and mashed potatoes. I also decided that 2 more glasses of Sauvignon Blanc were essential to go with dinner. :-)



Very yummy dinner and perfect sized! I'm glad our bartender suggested sharing the appetizer instead of the entree of lamb chops!

Sunday morning I couldn't decide what I wanted for breakfast. So I had a bit of both. One egg + one egg while over easy and melted with low fat cheese on one half of an English muffin, and old faithful, Laughing Cow and smoked salmon on the other half. I ate all of my egg sandwich but ended up just picking the salmon off the other one. 


After my breakfast digested and I had wasted the day away doing god knows what, I finally laced up my running shoes for my first run since surgery and my half marathon 3 weeks ago. I ran about 2.5 miles and walked about another 4 miles. I'm sure my stride will come back soon, but I'm just not ready for a long run yet. 

Back at the house I snacked on a brown monster. This had half a banana, a beet, about 15 frozen cherries, a scoop of my wanna-be-Amazing Grass, some SF (sugar free) Quick, handful of spinach, ice cubes, and a little milk. 




And some crackers and hummus. 

  
I love my Kashi crackers, and everything Kashi for that matter, but I couldn't take my eye off the long ingredient list. Even though I could read and I knew everything in the crackers, when I set them side by side Reduced Fat Triscuits, Triscuits won - but just barely so I'll still eat my Kashi when I want too! :-)


Last night I had a "thing" to go to. Okay, you talked it out of me. I went speed dating!



My friend and I signed up to go, I was Girl #3. It was a interesting night and I had a lot of fun. Did I meet possible next boyfriend or future husband? Probably not... I should've given cute boy Chuck I met at the bar before speed dating my number. I figured he'd still be waiting for me after my 12 dates with other men, but sadly he was gone. Lesson learned: when you meet a cute single guy - pounce on him right away. I am getting close in age to being a cougar. Kidding, kinda, sadly kinda not. :-) At the speed dating I had a piece of BBQ chicken pizza and 2 glasses chardonnay. When leaving I swung by Whole Foods and picked up some sushi and then cooked some edamame at home. I was still a little hungry. 




That was my exciting weekend! Have you ever tried speed dating or online dating? How did you and your significant other meet??

9 comments:

  1. Oh my heavans!! So many good looking pics in this post - where to start??!! I love cheese and crackers...and pizzas...but much larger than yours ;)..haha - true though...and only 2 glasses...ummmm, pass the bottle girl :)
    Can't believe you went speed dating? Oh man sounds like fun really , I'd be soooo nervous though...I have no significant other...:(...maybe I should think of something like this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who could pick the best food? I am a pizza lover so that appeals to me!!

    I met my husband in Sears! We were both working there at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to go for some dates; I don't care how odd-ball the guys are. I'm getting desperate at this point. Plus speed dating sounds fun!

    I'm glad you can relax on weekends! I do not like that Trader Joes hummus or those Kashi crackers but I am a die-hard Triscuit fan (how many ingredients? like three)- I like the thin crisps best because you get more crackers for the amount of calories. that are not being counted of course.

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your cute hair, love your food pics and love your blog! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post! first of all your hair looks great, you're so pretty and those sunglasses are COOL! :)

    Hmm.. I actually never count calories and I tend to indulge whenever I want, no matter what day it is. Does that mean that I'm a Everyday Warrior?! HAHA :D weekends are more celebratory for sure, but I've noticed that I eat out quite often during the week too, which usually means ehmm.. not a healthy diet :P when at home I try to make my meals healthy but the little snacks in between sometimes ruins the idea. Anyway, I've been learning not to snack but eat proper food when I'm hungry and maybe someday I've learned my lesson.

    I also drink alcohol! :D not so much as I used to or as often, but I do. When I go out and celebrate, which is once in 2 months I drink my share and more if I'm in the mood. I just hate hangovers, it's not fun getting older :S

    Speed dating! sounds fun :D I don't know if I'm boring but I've never tried online dating either :D I usually met my boyfriends through mutual friends or abroad I met guys in school, bars, dorm.. wherever. It was definitely easier to meet men in Germany than in Finland!! I met my current boyfriend through a childhood friend and had actually known him for YEARS but we were always involved with other people when we met although there was certain chemistry and when I returned from Germany we were both single and that was it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We met at work! But we were both in different depts and he left for a new job right after we met, so it was never an issue. Little did we know, but our paths had crossed many times in college in Galway Ireland. We knew a lot of the same people but never met!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Speed dating was lots of fun. I would definitely recommend it. Yes, it's a little intimidating, but at the same time, you're getting 12 dates out of the way in just over an hour! They say you can tell you are attracted to a person in under 3 minutes, so within 6 minutes you should know if you would want to go out again, right? The next step is you get email address from all your "yes" and "maybe" matches, and vice versa, so you can decide from there if you would like to meet again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! What a load of great eats! :) Your tomato plant looks amazing! Much better than mine!!

    I met my hubby on match.com! Together nearly 7 years!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I met my husband the old fashioned way--at a club! :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers