Thursday, March 4, 2010

Tomato LOVE

I bought this little dream for my backyard.


I love LOVE LOVE fresh tomatoes! And all vegetables in general! Growing up we always had a huge veggie garden out back and all of produce came from the garden. Seriously, when I started college, I didn't know where to get jam or salsa because my mother had always made it from our garden! Anyway, I'd love to have a big veggie garden myself but, 1) I live in the desert, 2) I tried last year and it was pretty much a flop, there are more bugs in the desert then you'd think! 3) The home I've been renting has gone into foreclosure so by mid summer I'll be moving anyway. But I still wanted to give fresh tomatoes a chance! So I made a $30 investment, $20 for an XL pot that can move with me, $6 for soil, $4 for this little dream!! It ended up being really windy out and since the plant was still so small, I decided to keep it inside for a little bit.

For dinner I made some Yves Meatless Ground Lettuce Wrap. I love how quick, easy and low calorie this meal is. I put half the package in a frying pan with a 1/4 cup peanuts and heated it up. Then I topped it with some leftover plum & red chili sauce from a Thai place and added a few dashes of vinegar. They were quite tasty! And the whole meal was around 400 calories. If I hadn't added peanuts it would have been around 200. Plus a glass (or two) of wine. :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers