Wednesday, March 24, 2010

A Healthy Runner

I came across this article The Healthy Runner's Diet on Runner's World last week and found it rather interesting. In the article it talks about how many runners use energy bars, enhancement drinks, and fortified packaged foods to provide a lot of their calories and nutrients rather than eating "real" food. The article goes on to talk in lengths about the benefits of eating a full natural diet of fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lean meats. It really went in depth to explain why certain food are so beneficial and supply essential nutrients to runners. These nutrients are not nutrients you can find wrapped up in a package or in a drink, of course.

Now I can only speak for myself, but I have never been a fan of any energy bars. I have tried many different brands and know that I would prefer to eat real food any day over choking down a fortified bar of cardboard. Even if you can read all the ingredients on the label, they are packed with calories and never as satisfying as a meal. I do use a scoop of protein or other supplements in a smoothie after a run, but I also make sure the smoothies major ingredients are packed with nutrients such as; spinach, bananas, berries, beets, soy or cow milk or yogurt, nut butters, flax or chia seeds. My smoothies vary on the ingredient list but the important part is they come in the natural, or closest to nature, form.

I know many people who carry energy bars in their bag so they are never caught hungry when they are out running errands or stuck at work. I think that's a great idea as I too hate being stuck hungry, there's nothing worse, but I do it a little differently. When I pull a snack out of my purse to hold me over, I want it to be just that, a snack to fill my belly until I can eat my next meal. Anyone who knows me knows I always have a Kashi granola bar and Trader Joe's Just a Handful proportioned almonds or trail mix in my bag. This helps me through my hunger humps and keeps me from not impulse purchasing less healthier options. For my lifestyle, I prefer not to make a meal of a supplement bar, there are many more flavorful and filling foods I would rather eat. Sometimes you just need a little something that can hold you over till your next meal of "real" food.

What is your take on energy bars and food supplements? Do you carry snacks with you? What are your tricks to keep yourself full on-the-go?

Now on to meals!

My friend Stephanie once told me if I labeled my vitamins as vodka, I'd be more likely to take them. So far so good!


After work yesterday I met my lovely ladies for happy hour. I had 2 glasses of sangria and shared some calamari. Sadly I forgot to picture this. I'm beginning to think I'm the worst food blogger ever! I did get an after picture though!


As you can tell, we found the calamari to be very delicious at Element! The sangria was yummy too and I was excited it was full of appetizers, aka, apples, oranges, peaches and raspberries. When I got home I put this in the oven for dinner.


And then I poured one of these...


and then I poured some over here as well....


Ya know... just because I wouldn't have wanted to finish off that bottle or anything... ;-)

I'm the ultimate red wine spiller and natural born klutz so thought it would be fun to start documenting some of my less fortunate moments. Please enjoy.

Dinner looked like this...


Yeah, not quite what it looked like on the box, but it was really yummy! If I hadn't had snacks at the bar, I would have definitely needed some sort of side with this as it was only 270 calories. Later that night I had some tea before I went to bed.


I'm happy to report I've been sleeping fairly ok the past couple nights. It's not getting two thumbs up, but I'll give it at least one. Any sleep is better than no sleep.

Breakfast this morning was another whole wheat english muffin, 1 egg + 1 egg white, sriracha, and today I added a wedge of laughing cow.


I'm totally on this breakfast sandwich kick and loving it! I usually hate eggs and all things breakfast but this has just hit the spot this week! Although, I am missing my yogurt with flax seed. I also had Tazo Zen with some local honey in it. I'm thinking it really is helping my allergies, or it's all this positive thinking!


Yep, that's a fork. My choices were fork or chopsticks this morning. My blisters from running have finally shrunk to a normal size so, I see a run this afternoon in my future! Hope you all enjoy the rest of your afternoon!

2 comments:

  1. lol-- love that "vodka" vitamin bottle :-)

    I have kind of a love/hate relationship with energy bars-- they're so easy to carry around for an emergency snack, but I do think that real food combinations (an apple and some almonds, etc.) are better for us. I try to pick energy bars that have the least amount of "weird" ingredients-- I love Lara bars, which are just fruits and nuts.

    Thanks for the comment on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. What a great idea to label your vitamis as vodka :D I'm laughing out loud here!

    Mmm.. energy/protein bars. Well, I've just recently discovered them and use them occassionally when I'm going to gym. It's really a pity that we don't have (or I haven't found) anything similar as eg Kashi/Larabars bars in Finland because I would love to try them!

    ReplyDelete

Followers