Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Words from the Wise

Good Morning! I'm so happy about the beautiful weather finally being here for good!

I had to opportunity last night to speak with a colleague of my mom who does training for marathons. His name is Ken and he does training for several of the Team In Training marathons here on the west coast. As many of you know, I'm training for my first half marathon that is coming up on April 3rd. My mom had told him about my knee problems and now, blister problems and he was kind enough to call me with some words from the wise.

I haven't joined any local running groups and have pretty much learned everything I know about running through trial and error. I also frequent my local running store with lots of questions for the cute staff guy. :-) Ken and I spoke for about 30 minutes last night and covered everything from stretches, training, knee problems to food. He definitely gave me some helpful advice and also told me to load up on carbs the next two weeks. My immediate response was, So I can eat more food!!  He quickly clarified that I needed to be eating more whole grains, rice and pasta the next 2 weeks but not overeating unless I wanted to gain weight. He did assure me if I gained a pound or two these coming weeks that they would easily be shed after the marathon. I'm holding you to that Ken!

Coincidentally to Ken's advice, I had decided earlier that day it was time to clean out my pantry/freezer since I'll be moving in the near future. This means you'll be seeing a lot more grains this week packed with protein!  I also way overspent this past weekend with all the going out so I'm going to try and not go grocery shopping this week. Not grocery shopping is a very, very difficult thing for me to do as I've previously said I usually go several times a week! Not to mention I'm completely out of salad mixing, my staple for life! So this week will be a challenge and slightly different from my normal eating, however, I'm fairly certain I have enough food in the house to feed an army and enough frozen fruits and vegetables to get all my nutrients.

How often do you clean out your freezer/pantry? Do you have any special recipes or tricks for using everything up?

Now onto my meals. I've had some great eats! Are you ready?

Breakfast this morning was a whole grain english muffin, 1 egg + 1 egg white and sriracha! Who does not love hot sauce?

I also had this orange and some Cardamom tea, with soymilk and local honey.


 Last night dinner was straight from the freezer!


I had 3/4 whole wheat pasta that I topped with some Trader Joe's sauce and 1 cup frozen spinach, chopped onion, garlic, couple kalamata olives, and some frozen shrimp. Topped it off with a little Italian cheese blend.



I had my "before grocery store" snack before I decided I really didn't need to go to the grocery store.

 
For an after lunch snack I had kombucha


and Girl Scout cookies!


Yesterday I pulled everything but the kitchen sink out for lunch.


I had spinach topped with tomatoes, mushrooms, leftover roasted asparagus, feta, Wholly Guacamole 100 calorie pack, shrimp from the freezer and a homemade dijon vinaigrette.


It was truly an amazing lunch! If only I had some spinach left in the house I could do it again today!

Breakfast yesterday: Whole wheat english muffin, 1 egg & 1 egg white, shredded cheddar cheese. 


Hope everyone has a good day!

3 comments:

  1. I definitely do not clean my freezer often enough :D

    That pasta looked delicious, I love shrimp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful that you were able to get some good advice from him. Often times I too try to go it alone, and then when I can speak with someone who knows a LOT more than I do things get easier!

    I clean out my freezer pretty regularly because there are nine of us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you were young, I used to try and keep at least a 6 months supply of food on hand...just in case. I seem to still do that, but now I only have one person (but enough food for four). I'm going to clean out my freezer!

    ReplyDelete

Followers