Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Learn Your ABC's

Hello all! Those of you that have been following have heard all about my knee and blister problems that I've been having with running. Basically both problems have been keeping me pretty stagnant lately. I've been trying to find other activities such as spinning, yoga or Pilates to help balance out my days, but  without being able to go outside and run in the beautiful weather I've become very unmotivated. My half marathon is Saturday and even though my blisters will not be 100% better,  my doctor thinks with some mole skin I'll be able to finish the race. And NO, I didn't got to the doctor for a blister if that's what you are thinking. :-) 

I was actually at the doctor getting these brown specks that cover my torso checked out. Some call them beauty marks, my doctor calls them potential cancer and likes to see me on a regular basis. I guess that does all go in line with my healthy body mission. Anyhow, I have a little bugger on my side, right under my bra band that needs to be removed. It's probably nothing serious as I've had this same thing done numerous times, but the doctor wanted to remove it right then for a biopsy. I was able to schedule it for early next week instead so I could still run my half this weekend. However... once again I've been told to that exercising is not recommended while it heals because it can stretch the stitches and cause scaring. My body is really resisting me on Operation Bikini Bod this year. Maybe I can still do some spinning since that doesn't use upper body, hmmmm?

For those of you not familiar with skin cancer, also known as Melanoma, it's time to brush up on your ABC's. The ABC's can help you to determine what is a normal, healthy mole and one that may possibly become cancerous.  Normal moles are usually flat, light in color, and smaller than the diameter of a pencil eraser. Normal moles usually do not change. If you are noticing changes, you should see a doctor. The things to look out for with moles are 
  • Asymmetry -  when one half of the growth has a different shape than the other.
  • Borders Irregular - when the growth has scalloped or uneven edges. 
  • Color varied - when the growth is more than one color. Melanomas may be black, shades of brown and tan, and even have specks of red, white, and blue.
  • Diameter - when the size, measured edge to edge, is bigger than the diameter of a pencil eraser.
  • Evolutions - Melanoma will change in shape and size over a short period of time.
For more information on Melanoma, you can check out Melanoma.com. If you think you may have Melanoma, you should contact a health care professional immediately as Melanoma is a quick spreading and life threatening disease.

And now for my eats. My camera has been dead for days, so iPhone photos for now, but I finally have it charging!

Lunch yesterday was Smoked Salmon wrap.



Whole wheat wrap, two - Laughing Cow Wedges, 3 oz smoked salmon, red onions, tomatoes, and arugula. If only I would've had some capers.


I also brought this salad back to the office with me. Some spinach, asparagus, onion, tomatoes, cucumbers and 6 bean salad. I topped it with a little homemade honey dijon vinaigrette!


Then I needed something sweet so I had 1/4 cup Bear Naked Granola.


My afternoon workout was called.... cleaning house! Cat hair, cat hair, everywhere! The cats are moved out so I had lots of wiping, sweeping, mopping, vacuuming and polishing. It may not be the same as a 3 mile run, but cleaning house is definitely a workout!

For dinner I went out with a friend. Started with a biscuit with yummy honey cinnamon butter.


Then I had a Caesar salad.


And then Cajun pasta with chicken, mushrooms, peppers and onions and a "Cajun" creme sauce.  Cajun goes in quotes because there was nothing Cajun about it. I ended up covering it with a bottle of hot sauce. It was tasty once I fixed it. :-)


Poor pictures, sorry. Now I know I've A. cheated on my eating out only once a week but... I've justified it by saying I haven't had to pay for every meal. ;-) and B. haven't been making my normal healthy selections and eating lots of carbs but... I've justified that I'm running a half this weekend so I'll be back to my normal eating very soon!

Breakfast this morning I went back to my oldie but goldie favorite. Plain yogurt, raspberries, flax seed and Cardamom tea with soy milk and local honey.


Enjoy your evening!

2 comments:

  1. I miss raspberries, haven't had any in months since there are not available.

    Thanks for the interesting and very important ABC. I knew most of the stuff already but it never hurts to read them again :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww I'm so sorry to hear about the knee and the blister! I really hope they heal in time for your half!
    Sounds like you really take your health seriously and are so in tune with your body. I love that! Skin cancer is very scary and can easily go undetected so the fact that you're so conscientious about it is amazing!

    Love your wrap too. Smoked salmon and laughing cow are a match made in heaven!

    So glad to have found your blog- it's really wonderful. You are beautiful, by the way!!

    ReplyDelete

Followers