Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Most Amazing Lunch EVER!

Since the birth of my blog a few weeks back I've been trying to figure out what the story line of my blog is going to be. How many posts I should do a day? Should I do all my meals or just my best meals? Post as I eat or in one daily post? Does anyone even care what I'm eating? Probably not.

So far I just know I love food, love to eat, love being healthy, and love to share my favorite things with others. I love real food. The kinds that come from the garden and you can tell by looking at it where it came from. As for other foods I eat, I prefer if I can at least pronounce the ingredients on the list. I believe in buying organic, locally grown (hard to do in a desert), all natural. I am not a vegetarian, but I often eat vegetarian meals. I try to limit my meats to those that are raised free ranged, cruelty free and feed natural diets. Does it cost more to eat this way? Absolutely! But I can't think of a better thing to invest in than my body!

However, I am not perfect! Do I indulge at restaurants or In n' Out on occasion? Of course! Am I known to enjoy happy hours and beers with friends? For sure! Do I put things that I know are bad for me into my body? Yep! Moderation is key in learning to juggle all the variables in life. The best part of my life is finding a healthy balance with food and exercise [and work and travel and friends and dating and everything else far and inbetween]! 

So what prompted this midday post? Why clearly only the most epic, most amazing, best tasting lunch EVER!

This started off as just a normal day lunch. I've been working on clearing out my freezer this week and with limited supplies I decided on a Mediterranean wrap. I pulled a whole wheat tortilla out of the freezer and put it into the toaster oven, plopped a veggie burger into a frying pan (I have no microwave). Started to chop up some kalamata olives, red onion, tomatoes, and cucumber. I pulled the slightly crispy tortilla out of the toaster and thought to myself, hmmmm, well this should be interesting...


Spread the tortilla with hummus, topped it with veggies, low fat feta, and chopped up tomato basil veggie burger.


It was then, when my tortilla was loaded, that I realized it was entirely too crispy and not going to roll into a wrap. How was I going to eat this? A veggie pizza? Veggie pita? Veggie quesadilla? No my friends! It became a Greek Taco!


This is by far one of the most amazing things I have ever eaten in my life! No lie! Bobby Flay has nothing on my Greek Taco! (Okay, maybe his delicately fried squash flowers but that's about it!)


Add a little sriracha. Seriously my friends, I don't even know if it is possible to recreate this mishap of perfection but I can not explain how amazing it was! The semi-crispy shell, the crisp vegetables, flavorful veggie burger, creamy hummus and feta. Divine! Stacey, when you open your restaurant these needs to be on the menu!

I sincerely apologize for the poor iPhone photography as I left my real camera in the office. Just know, photos do this taco no justice!

Anyways friends, I hope you'll follow me along on my adventures in food and quest for a better living!

4 comments:

  1. I had the same "problems" and thoughts when I started my blog few weeks back, but I think I'll find the most suitable way for me in course of time, so far I only have time to blog once a day because I work full time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, just now I just post when I want to, and only post the things I want to talk about. My blog is in danger of becomming an online diary though! I'm going to just let my blog evolve on it's own I think. I really like your style of writing by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For each person who just have to decide what works for you as far as your blog and post what's important to you. Do your own thing and make yourself happy first. The taco you made looked really good. I love veggie burgers made into things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In regards to those requesting calories, using my Lose It! app on my iPhone, I estimated this "Greek Taco" had 510 calories. Slightly higher then I usually aim for lunch, I'm usually in the 350-450 range, but this was also my entire lunch. I didn't have any sides. Also might add, this lunch kept me so full, there was NO snack and I probably could have gone without dinner!

    ReplyDelete

Followers