Tuesday, March 16, 2010

How I Started Running and Haven't Stopped!

For many years I was that girl with excuses for why I couldn't run. "I have bad knees!" was my prominent excuse, which to an extent, is true. But for many years the truth to why I did not run was because I couldn't! Yes, I could hop on an elliptical or a stair machine at the gym and pound it out for an hour, no problem. Running, however, is a different type of endurance and I've feared that endurance since my middle school days of having to run the mile in gym class.

It was not until I moved to Las Vegas that the idea of running ever even entered my mind. Being as the weather in Vegas is blue skies and sunshine 95% of the time, I found it nearly impossible to stay indoors to exercise. So I started with speed walking. Yes, I'm talking about speed walking like the old ladies in the mall, go ahead, laugh... Are you finished laughing?? I'll wait... Yes, I speed walked and guess what? It was good exercise! I had a 5 mile loop I would do down to the park and back, and on days I was feeling adventurous there was a small mountian/hill in the park that was about another mile up and down.


I did this walk for probably 6 months. Then one day as I was walking I thought, what if I ran?? I knew I probably wouldn't be able to run far but the signs were evenly spaced down the trail, so I set my goal small. Let's run through the second sign down there! And I did it! So I walked for two sign lengths, and then I ran for two sign lengths.  Then the next time I would run for 4 sign lengths, walk for 2! Then next time I ran 6 sign lengths, walked for 2. Before I knew it I had run my first mile! This may not seem like much of an accomplishment for some, but since I had always told myself "I can't run" a really believed that I couldn't run!

The truth is I can run! You can run too! It took me over a year to start building up longer runs and endurance, but I did it! I am still not a fast runner, but my times have improved! I'm not worried about winning the race because in my mind I have already won the race. I have done something I told myself I couldn't and I continue to improve with my distance and times. I will be running my first half marathon on April 3rd and my mom will be coming to town to cheer me on. I'm just super excited to be doing something that a year ago, I told myself I couldn't do! I am even more excited that I have found a healthy activity that keeps me motivated and fit!

Today's meals are slightly less exciting then the story above. :-) Breakfast was 1/2 c. plain yogurt, 1/2 c. blueberries, and 1 heaping tbs of blueberry flax seed. I also added 1/4 c. granola. My morning tea was cardamom with soymilk and local honey. I will kick those allergies!


My lunch break today was a teeth cleaning and getting my single last silver filling in my mouth replaced. This morning I grabbed some leftover Lasagna soup from the fridge, and let me tell you, I glad I grabbed the soup! I wasn't in any pain, but my mouth was numb making it difficult to eat!


Yesterdays picture of the soup was much prettier. I had no pasta and no extra cheese today since I was in a rush this morning. Afternoon snack was this simple juicy red pear. Hit the spot!


Tonight I am headed to play Bunco with my ladies! Which means wine & snacks are in my future. Probably not the healthiest dinner, but I look forward to seeing my friends monthly for Bunco and a good gossip session!

3 comments:

  1. I didn't laugh at the speed walking at all because that really is my primary form of exercise. I run occasionally, but I primarily walk super fast!

    Great to meet you in blog world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So exciting! That is seriously almost the same story as me :-) You are going to rock the half marathon. I still think that running mine was the biggest accomplishment ever for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job- I am proud of you... still cant picture your running- but glad your doing it!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Followers