Friday, March 19, 2010

Nursing the Knee

Earlier this week in "How I Started Running and Haven't Stopped!" I mentioned briefly about my knee problems. I still do encounter knee problems from time to time with my last injury happening February 9th in the middle on an 9 mile run. I always wear patella bands to help ward off knee pain. Patella bands, in nut shell, are black bands about an inch thick that sit just the knee to compress the patella tendon and help to keep the knee cap in place. I was on one of the awesome runs where your mind and body were all in synch and then run felt like a breeze. I even saw a coyote who had come out of the water shed area. I was on my 4th mile heading down a hill when in one single step I did something that caused a lot of pain to my knee. I can't tell you exactly what happened, but it was bad enough for me to scream out @#&$! I decided it was best to start heading back to the house, but I was still determined to run (BAD BAD BAD). I continued on running [and limp speed walking] for another mile and half until I was in too much pain to keep going. Finished off slowly limping the next 3 miles home as it started to rain.

The result of my ignorance to listen to my body was a costly one. I was in so much pain the next day I had to limp everywhere. This also set me back 3 weeks in my half marathon training as I had to take time off to recover! For the past year I have been running in a neutral running shoe, even though I knew I mildly over pronated. It wasn't bothering me on shorter distances, but as my distances increased the pain would get worse. This injury finally gave me the push I needed to head to Village Runner, my local running store, and get fitted in a proper pair of shoes.

I ended up with a pair of Asics GT-2150 and my knees have been thanking me ever since! Where my old shoes were neutral and flexed really easy, my newer shoes have a thicker core through the arch of the foot that keep my feet from rolling inwards and ultimately preventing the knee pain. If you have never been fitted for running shoes before I highly highly recommend it and wish I had done it a year ago! The stable core in my shoes definitely takes a little more energy to run then my previous shoes and with only 2 weeks to my half, I am nervous as I have not been recording the mile I had expected to at this point. But I can only do my best and I will finish, even if that means I have to walk a portion of the race. I do know one thing, now when my body or knees tell me to stop, I'll stop.

Have you ever had a sports related injury before? Was it something you could have prevented?
 

Yesterday I had a late lunch. I was going to go home but then checked out this new Flame Kabob place instead. I had a chicken kabob, flat bread, and saffron rice.



And this Shirazi salad. I love these! Always so fresh! This would be really easy to make at home. Hmmmm..



I ended out once again this evening for happy hour at Whole Foods! The had 6 beer/wine choice to pair with 6 different foods for only $7! Love Whole Foods! Burgers with blue cheese topping, olives, hummus and pita, blackberries tossed in chocolate sauce.


Brownie bite with whipped topping and dehydrated raspberry.  We had 2 sparkling wine, one pinot gris, 2 beers and a lambic.


I was able to meet the marketing director for Whole Foods and we talked a bit about my blog. She invited me to some upcoming event that are being held.



After happy hour, I just had to get some groceries, right??? Oh Whole Foods, you win once again!


Kombucha, coconut water, tofu and Spicy Tuna Don Bowl. I decided the few snacks at happy hour didn't quite make a meal.


I think I just ate the spicy tuna off the top and left the majority of the rice. ;-) Then I had some TJ's Bedtime tea with a bubble bath.


This morning I slept in! No work for me today! I had so many hours from last week my boss told me to take this beautiful, sunny and 75 degree day off. I didn't argue. Breakfast this morning was...


Non-breakfast food! Three of these crustinis and some leftover crab and shrimp dip. I also had a coconut water and half a banana as I plan to head out either on a bike ride or long run really soon! Enjoy your Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers